My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://cooltravelguide.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, August 14, 2009

Blogging and Blogspot in Syria

A number of people have contacted me via the comments to my post below and on Twitter in response to my appeal for advice after my blog was momentarily blocked in Syria. Shukran jazeelan to everyone for their tips - much appreciated! Unfortunately (or fortunately), I'm a busy travel writer with a lot to do here in Syria at the moment - boutique hotels to review, restaurants to try out, artists and musicians to interview - and blogging is not high on my list of priorities at the moment sadly, so I don't have time to test out all your suggestions now. In addition to my lack of time, the intermittent and excruciatingly slow internet access at a lot of the hotels we're staying at means I simply can't get on the net when it's convenient nor wait for photos to upload at the usual size I post them. And I don't have time to keep running back to the Four Seasons, which must have the fastest internet access in town. Quite a few people have written to me about blogspot being banned here and forwarded links supporting this (sorry, but I don't have time to respond to everyone), however, just for your info, I can access a large number of blogspot blogs that I usually read from other parts of the world from Syria (and I was able to access them on previous trips here too), including many listed on my own blogroll, and Syrian-based blogspot blogs that I don't normally read but have discovered on this trip. People are asking me what ISPs I am using and am I using proxies. As I am reviewing hotels, I am moving hotels every couple of days so I'm using whatever ISP the hotel is using and whether the hotel has a proxy or not, I'm sorry but I don't have time to investigate, and would rather be talking to a singer such as the wonderful Rasha Rizk than an IT guy. Hoping you understand.

8 comments:

Guide Books said...

I recommend to all that, before going to a foreign place, don't just read travel guide books, but also forums, to see people's real opinion on that.

Sanjeev Verma said...

Found your blog very well written and nice to read. Keep up.

kumbakonam said...

it's really cool blog

Travel blog said...

Your blog is very helpful for me . Thanks for sharing !!!!

Herry said...

Nice Blog ...
What is he hold ? looks like a breads

Costa Rica Hotels said...

Interesting, it might have to do something with politics maybe?

Anonymous said...

It was extremely interesting for me to read the article. Thank author for it. I like such themes and anything that is connected to them. I definitely want to read a bit more soon.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.