My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://cooltravelguide.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, January 2, 2009

So where will you be going in 2009?

That's what Budget Travel is asking its readers before publishing their own list. You can have your say here. I find it interesting that they've asked their readers to submit travel wish lists before releasing their own. Last year, the New York Times travel section came out with a controversial list of 53 places you should should go that received hundreds of comments and provoked some rather passionate debate. If anything, what the overwhelming response from NYT readers demonstrated was that when you get it wrong travellers aren't going to hesitate to let you know. Perhaps Budget Travel is thinking it's better to play it safe and gauge trends first. Or perhaps the editorial team can't agree themselves. What do you think?

The image? Morocco naturally, a perennially popular destination with travellers, and with a number of fascinating cities that still aren't on the mass tourism travel radar yet - I'm surprised we're not seeing those on any wish lists.

9 comments:

Lara Dunston said...

And they look like very exciting plans too! Hong Kong is a favorite of mine and I loved Bergen for its fantastic food and harbour. Cambodia is also on my list of course! Thanks for checking in.

Anonymous said...

is it possible to get this question 'right'?

my 09 list (on the obvious side) includes: beijing, kerala, beirut, austin, zermat and sinai.

Anonymous said...

I'd like to see them come out with the own list first, but I think they probably want to create a buzz for their website and get a little attention.

~Gennaro

Anonymous said...

I've found I've had to re-evaluate my travel plans because of the horrid economic climate here in the U.S. The side effect is that I'm really enjoying rediscovering my own country. Trips this year hopefully include: Atlanta, Corsica, Morocco, St. Louis and Santa Fe.

David said...

My plan is to go for less of an insane country ticking binge (although I've already got four Caribbean islands in a fortnight for February).

I want to explore more of my home country (UK), and I'm also planning two big trips out to Australia rather than one. The bits of Queensland that I've not got to yet - including Cape York - are high on the agenda.

I also want to check out some new places on the way. Samoa and Tonga one trip, Argentina the other... now that sounds like a plan.

Tamara said...

Hi Lara

This first quarter my big trips are Australia and Vegas - not very adventurous. I wish I had time to do more adventurous off the beaten track travel.

Will be reading through your Aus posts before I go.

Prêt à Voyager said...

this is the year i'm determined to make it to buenos aires :)

happy new year, lara and terry!

xo
anne

Andy HoboTraveler.com said...

Where to go is an interesting idea, however to take recommendations from anyone is risky. I just dream about places until I finally go. This year plans are the areas of Africa betweeen Ethiopia and Cameroon, with a focus on the Congo.
Thanks from Andy of HoboTraveler.com Travel Blog

Lara Dunston said...

Hi Avantcaire - these lists are all so personal, aren't they? I love your list though. My husband Terry loves Zermatt actually, and if you're a skier or snowboarder you should try it in Beirut - I'm not saying it's great or anything, but the atmosphere is fun.

Hi Gennaro - I think you're right. And I think their list is out now. I just haven't had time to check it yet. Better go take a look.

Hello there Travel Muse - Corsica is a great choice actually - that's somewhere I'd like to go too. Now, hopefully I'll see you in Morocco?!

Hey David - that sounds like a super plan. I'm keen to get up to Cape York too - it's one of the last places in Australia left for me to see - that and Tasmania.

Hi Tamara - well do get in touch with me about Australia, won't you?

Hello Anne - I know you are just going to love Buenos Aires! It has a little bit of a Paris feel to it, although it's so distinctly Latin American - and a little bit of Italy too. Happy new year!

Hi Andy - yeah, recommendations are always a risk - you really need to know that you have something in common with the person making them - that you share similar tastes and interests. Africa sounds good. I've only ever been to the north, never Sub-Saharan, so that's a plan for me too.