My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://cooltravelguide.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, September 1, 2008

Ramadan Kareem

Ramadan, the Muslim holy month of fasting (intended to teach humility, patience and discipline), started in the Islamic World with the sighting of the new moon today. Ramadan Kareem to all my friends in the UAE and the rest of the Middle East. I'll be posting more about Ramadan in the next few days. Pictured? Delicious dates from Al Ain in the UAE. Traditionally, Muslims break their fast after sunset each day with dates.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE dates. These looks sooo good. Mmmm...

Lara Dunston said...

Why thank you! I love them myself and miss being there during Ramadan. We would always end up with big boxes of the things because the owner of our building would give all the residents boxes of dates, and everyone gives dates anyway, but having said that, we never could finish them all and they'd still be there a year later. Fortunately they last forever. Yum!

Anonymous said...

The dates do look good. I wonder why they are used to break the fast - I guess they are easy to eat and very available (and probably fairly filling on an empty tummy).