My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://cooltravelguide.com
and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, November 25, 2007

Travelling Inspirations: food

Food inspires me to travel. No doubt about it. Does it do that for you? Whether I’m flicking through a food and travel magazine, drooling over my husband’s food photography, or just taking a look at my own food snaps from our travels, mouthwatering images just make me want to go! Take this pic of Mieng Kham, a deliciously tangy Thai appetiser made with betel leaves, dried shrimps, limes, peanuts, palm sugar, coconut, and birds-eye chillies (hope I’ve got that right!). It’s not something you’ll typically see at your neighbourhood Thai restaurant in Dubai, London, Sydney, San Francisco, or wherever, as Betel leaves can be hard to find. Therefore it’s always the first dish we’ll order our first meal in Bangkok. It’s the dish we most reminisce about. It's the one we most look forward to. And it's the dish that inspires me to find an excuse to return to Thailand.

3 comments:

Alexander Santillanes said...

Meang kham is one of my favorite Thai snacks! There is a vendor near the school where I teach who sells bags containing all the ingredients, so as a special treat I love to pick up a bag on the way home.

Did you every encounter the Mieng Kham on a stick? I had it once at Chatuchak market, and it was a great way to get the mix of flavors while on the go. -X

Lara Dunston said...

Hey Xander! Oh, I'm so glad you like it too!! We love it!!!! YUM!!! I am so disappointed we didn't have time to call you while we were there. We WILL be back, so we will definitely let you show us YOUR Bangkok if you'll do us the honour next time. But, no, I've never seen it in a stick!! Wow! Would love to try it!! Next time!!

Alexander Santillanes said...

I would love to show you around. Hopefully by your return, I'll be even more familiar with the city, and be more fully able to give you a very distinct tour. And I'll certainly try to help you track down Meang Kham on a stick! -X