My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://cooltravelguide.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Travelling: inspirations #3

So just what inspires you to travel? I must admit I was surprised by the results of my recent poll where I asked what motivated your travels. Almost half of you (46%) said 'your own trips and travel memories' inspired you to travel, while 23% said 'the very idea of travel' motivated you to move; 15% said travel photography books inspired you, while only 7% said your family and friends' travel tales motivated you to pack your bags. Surprisingly, nobody said movies about places, TV travel shows, travel literature, or guide books inspired you, yet 7% said travel blogs motivated them. I've been excited about two recent travel blog discoveries (thanks Anne!), including primitive culture, an ethnographer's take on Thailand, South Africa and other places, and placesihaveneverbeen, a beautiful design blog inspired by 'imaginary vacations to far off places'. Both have got me thinking about travel in different ways: how we can think about travel from an ethnographers perspective (or is that already how those addicted to travel think?); what travel inspires (rather than what inspires us to travel); and virtual travel. I'm going to sleep on it. Let's see where my dreams take me. Where do your dreams take you?

5 comments:

Alexander Santillanes said...

Wow, thanks for the mention! You've got an incredible blog, so it's quite an honor. I'm sure you'll be able to find your way around Thailand without trouble, but if there's anything I can tell you about Bangkok, just let me know! -X

Maryam in Marrakesh said...

Lara,
I love both of those travel blogs, actually. And I am working with Jennifer of Places I have never been on my own website!

xo
m

Lara Dunston said...

Xander, thank you! Bangkok is a favorite city of mine - your love of it comes through in the blog too. We'll definitely call upon you for some insider tips!

Maryam, the world gets smaller, doesn't it? I saw her post about you on her blog - that's so cool you're working with Jennifer - some of her designs are very 'you'!

Prêt à Voyager said...

Lara, once again you're an amazing resource! I've seen Jennifer's work before and love her calendar of travel inspired patterns, but didn't know she had a blog. I'm definitely hooked now! Glad too you and Xander made a connection. . .I can hardly sleep at night now I'm so excited for my trip.

JHill said...

Thanks for the mention Lara! you've got me imagining Thailand, I can't wait to see your travels on my screen!